Ten Things You Should Know About Water and Mold
1. When water damage or flooding is evident-act quickly. If restoration begins quickly with wet or damp areas being cleaned and dried within 24-48 hours, generally mold will not grow.
2. Fix the source of your water problem. Fix leaking roofs, windows, damaged gutters and downspouts, and make sure the soil against your foundation slopes away from your structure. Adding quick-release rain protection to window wells can help keep rain from accumulating and spilling over into basement areas.
3. Remove any damp carpet, padding, and furniture within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
4. Clean mold off hard surfaces like moldings and doors with water and detergent, and dry completely.
5. Absorbent materials like ceiling tiles, drywall, and insulation may need to be replaced.
6. Mold can produce potential health issues that are generally associated with the respiratory system.
7. You may be suspicious if you continually notice a musty or moldy smell. Mold can be hidden behind wallpaper, drywall, moldings, drywall, and almost any area that is moist and receives little or no ventilation.
8. Avoid mold contamination by wearing protective clothing, rubber gloves, and approved respirators.
9. If there is an area greater than 10 sq. ft. that has been adversely affected by mold, the EPA recommends hiring a professional mold remediation company to remove and clean up the contaminated area.
10. After the contaminated area has been cleaned and or replaced, it is recommended that the HVAC duct system be professionally cleaned to remove any residual mold that may have infiltrated the HVAC system.
Please call us today for a free consultation. We specialize in quickly removing mold and remediation of the water related damage. From flooring, drywall, and paint to professional courteous service, we will treat your home and family with the care you deserve. We are a Colorado Springs based, family-owned company that will work hard for you.